Just posting here to say I’m still working on the new version. I didn’t spend as much time on it lately as I could have, but I’ve returned to it a few days ago. I thought that a library like Qt will take off the burden of working on the user interface, but I’m finding myself rewriting simple things like clicking inside a table and selecting multiple rows of words for example. (In case you were wondering why it takes so long, besides it’s being a complex project anyway.)
I’m also spending a lot of time thinking about how to change the old interface. Good design decisions can make a program easier to use… and bad ones can break it. People complained that the old interface was too complex and they couldn’t find anything, but I’m afraid of oversimplifying things. I have made significant changes though, but it’s possible these won’t work well.
For example in the new design, the user is able to open as many windows as they like. The windows only display a single feature (like dictionary only, or word groups only,) but can be docked into the main window anywhere. This has the side effect that resizing the main window resizes the docked interface elements equally. As opposed to the old interface, where the kanji list part (on the left) remained the same width. We will see whether this makes the program harder to use or not.
I wanted to post screenshots but I still don’t have icons for 99.9% of the buttons, and I don’t want to publish an interface design full of buttons of the wrong size and no clear role.