Archive

Archive for July, 2017

zkanji TEST 2

July 30, 2017 2 comments

The titles of the posts will get boring for a while, until the first beta is out too. I have uploaded the next test version with a few visible fixes, and many others under the hood.  Go here to get it.

The new release lacks all data files and DLLs. You’ll need the first one too, and overwrite its executable with the new one. I plan to keep it this way for lighter downloads, until the first stable release.

The changes don’t look much, because I mainly work on the Linux version right now, but I have fixed the annoying crash with the example sentences. The Linux version is the same program, so working on it will help revealing general bugs that affect the Windows version as well.

Please open an Issue on GitHub, or mail me if you find bugs in zkanji. If you think that something important is much worse than in the old program (for example because shortcut keys are missing,) you can make a request about it. Otherwise I’ll keep working on the Linux release and do other things later.

Advertisements

zkanji TEST v1

July 26, 2017 3 comments

It took a while, sorry about that! I had to change some internal parts in the code since the last post, to make sure the program will compile in 64bit too. (The Windows version is still 32bit but this might change in the future. The Linux release will be 64bit from the start.) Figuring out what licenses must be mentioned and writing a readme took me a long time, and I can tell that I don’t enjoy that at all…

Instead of too much talk, let me present the first release! (In the future, you can visit this link for the latest versions as I upload them.) Before we start to celebrate, as it’s a first release, I can’t guarantee the quality of the software yet. It’s released for testing, so this stands to reason I guess.

Please add an issue to the issue tracker on the project page if you encounter a serious bug (program crashing, data getting corrupted etc.), but even if it’s just a small usability issue (for example windows not appearing where you want them to be, you see the wrong cursor or colors.)

There are some small new features not found in the original zkanji, but I’ll let everyone discover them first.

What’s missing: (I’ll only list the most important features)

  • No auto updater yet, so new versions must be downloaded manually for each release until it’s implemented.
  • Some settings have no effect. There’s a slider to increase the user interface size to 400%, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.
  • No kana practice. I’m not sure how well known feature this was, but it’s not present here. This is a planned feature too of course.
  • Missing statistics for the long-term study.

(And I already found a serious bug. The program sometimes crashes if you hover the mouse cursor over an example sentence.)

Categories: Uncategorized

First steps for the next release

July 15, 2017 1 comment

The short version: I’m still not done with the next release, but I have uploaded the source files to GitHub that are needed to compile and run the new zkanji. You can get it and try it right away on Windows IF you have Visual Studio 2013 or newer. It’s pretty easy to compile.

The long version: I spent a lot of time fixing errors and filling up holes in the program in the past many weeks, and it still contains bugs. There were several “game breaking” bugs I only discovered in the last moment. The last days were spent figuring out (again) how to release the program properly with an open source license. (I went for GPLv3.) It’s a complicated matter, especially since some files come from a different open source project with its own license.

Creating a release with the executable alone might be enough for those, who have the 2013 version of the Visual Studio redistributable, and the Qt DLLs, but this can’t be taken granted. I’ll need to include those too for everyone else, which means at least a primitive installer. I hope there’s some tool somewhere to make one quickly, because the free tool I used to create the installers for previous versions of zkanji, is everything but simple.

Because the Qt DLLs and the VS redistributable must be included, the file download will be at least 20 MB larger than previous ones were. On the other hand I won’t include the Japanese dictionary and example sentences data for now, which will save 20 MB. They can be obtained easily with the instructions I’ll include with the download. (I plan to include the data files in the final release.)

Before I forget, I still need to design a new icon for this version of zkanji. I could use the old one, but I want to make it clear in every design choice that it’s a new program. It was newly written after all. I will also need to add an about box to fulfill my obligations towards Qt and any other project which has a license that must be mentioned in the program. Then there’s the question of the name. I can keep it simply “zkanji,” but if I do that, I’m not sure what version number to use. It’s not a real continuation of the old version in the sense that they only share the same idea, but nothing of the program code.