As I wrote previously v0.73 had a serious bug which can be disappointing for some long time users, so automatic updating from v0.717 has been disabled. (Though you can still get the new version from the web site.) I wrote it too that the bug has been fixed so why no release yet?
To make it short, I wanted to update the word group study to include a kanji input box like the long-term study does, and I’m in the middle of it. This small change, although seemingly not very difficult, required changing the window where you can set the properties of word study groups. So I went ahead and redesigned the window to make it match the style of the rest of the program. UI changes always take some time, and I also have to rewrite some code for it. The test itself won’t be changed that much, though I’m thinking about redesigning its window as well to look similar to the long-term study. I haven’t decided yet.
The latest version or last few versions of zkanji had a bug. (I admit this is not news to most people who have been following the development of the program.) Fortunately that bug is not serious, it simply causes a scary “Access violation” message on program startup (but not always), but in most cases can’t make any other problems. The program has another, more alarming bug though. I was neglecting the old word tests, as I’ve completely switched to using and developing the long-term study list instead, but that’s no excuse in letting bugs pop up here and there. The bug only appears when you have a suspended test and then quit the program. The next time the program runs the test and a round is over, the program freezes. This means that even if you suspend a test, you shouldn’t quit zkanji, or even if you do, you should reset that test and start over. The bug is already fixed, but I want to fix a few smaller ones before I release the next version of the program. This time I won’t sit on it too long… hopefully.